Sunday 10 March 2013

Day 3: In Domino Confido (I trust in the Lord) ~ Cahill family motto



A Day on Discovering my Roots


http://www.ireland101.com/images/family-crests/cahill.jpg
The Cahill family crest
         I am proud to be a Cahill!  According to a website I have explored in order to learn more about my roots, I discovered "Ó Cathail- meaning probably 'strong in battle' from 'cath' or 'battle' [is] One of the oldest Irish surnames" (houseofnames.com).

          After having breakfast at our hotel Bistro, we will then partake in what I believe to the be one of the biggest highlights of the trip, to trace my ancestry at the Genealogical office in the National Library in Dublin. (LP states "this is the place to start your search for your Irish ancestors" 21). I have researched as much as I could on google, but my family, unfortunately, does not know much about their past. My Dad believes the Cahill's came to Canada to escape the devastating Potato Famine, but I really want to fill out my family tree and learn about my past from historical records. I am very willing to pay fee to have a genealogist help me with this as this will be the best souvenir I could bring back to share with my family! (LP 75).

         Onward to Trinity College. I will be a University graduate by then and since I truly appreciated my experience at Western/Kings I am excited to stop at this extraordinary college, comparable to Cambridge and Oxford. I can't wait to explore the library, walk the grounds and most importantly, since I am Catholic and also majored in Catholic Studies, see the Book of Kells. These beautifully crafted manuscripts of the Gospels will cause me to stand in reverence (learned pamphlet blow) .

        A tour seems like the best way to go to learn more about the college, plus it also pays the entrance fee to see the book of Kells


http://www.tcd.ie/Library/bookofkells/assets/pdf/English%20LO.pdf
I thought we were done with school ~Josh

          After the tour, Josh and I will grab something to eat and make our way to St. Stephen's Green where we will have a little picnic and relax outdoors. Just looking at pictures of the park on the internet really piqued my interest. It looks absolutely beautiful and this photo really caught my eye. I love taking the time to smell the roses and to truly experience the wonders nature has to offer.


http://cloud.pleasetakemeto.com/photos/ims-ireland/s/st-stephens-green/gallery_678/st-stephens-green-51855.jpg
A beautiful river bridge in St. Stephens Green


          We will then walk to Kehoe’s pub. Nothing is more relaxing than drinking a cold beer while sitting outside in the sun on the terrace (hopefully it won’t be raining)!

          After eating dinner, Josh and I will embark on our first Pub CrawlAfter reading "The Dead" in grade 12, Joyce inspired me to pursue a degree in English Literature and after also taking a class on British and Irish Literature I am very much looking forward to this combination of beer and quotations. Luckily we picked a hotel within stumbling distance of the pub crawl route as we may have sampled a few of the local beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment