Friday 15 March 2013

Day 13: Lions and Tigers and Bars ... Oh my!
















          The Dublin zoo will be the perfect way to start off our day. The best time to go to a zoo is in the morning as the animals are awake and energetic. The zoo opens at 9:30, so we will be there at 9:30! I am very excited to see the different exhibits and I may have already started watching the live video feed of the penguin habitat :S and then managed to stumble upon this at the gift shop. As the site claims, there are over 400 different species and, most importantly, this zoo is home to many endangered species (with "international breeding programs" set in place) which I am excited to see but also saddened to hear (dublinzoo.ie). We humans must live more sustainable or else the list of endangered species will continue to grow. We will have pizza for lunch, yes something quite common in Canada, but this morning we are in the mindset of a young child, before heading out to enjoy our adult alcoholic beverages. I guess the theme of the day is adult vs inner child ... beer vs. zoo.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5309/5663881885_5849aa8e3f.jpg
Big kittens

          Once we have finished exploring the zoo, we will make our way to the infamous Temple Bar district. There are so many shops, pubs and restaurants I have no idea where to start. Who knows what might actually suit our fancy when we get there, but for now here are a few places that caught my eye!

          1. Why not continue our day of exploring the inner child by stopping at a sweet shop. The selection's astounding and I have no idea what to pick ... yum! 


http://www.auntynellies.ie/wp-content/gallery/sweet-stock/sweet-stock4.png
I feel like a kid in a candy store


          2. Maybe I will try and design some fancy hats, see if Josh will like that! The designs look truly amazing and unique.


http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/4/819/CL1INTHAT130207.jpg
This one might be a bit too advanced for us


         3. I would love to stop at the Old Storehouse Bar & Restaurant as according to the site there is a live band every night (and live bands are in my opinion the best way for music to be played). But what I like most about this bar is how green and outdoorsy it is. For, there is actually a garden in the Storehouse, so for once the term “Beer Garden” is justified (theoldstorehouse.ie). 

        4. Of course in the Temple Bar District, one must stop at the Temple Bar. Their claim to fame for dinner is Dublin Bay Oysters & Guinness, and that sounds excellent to me. I do not often get the opportunity to eat seafood so I will indulge in it tonight. The menu continues to excite me as it also serves Irish Coffee and it is known for how excellent it tastes. Sure it may just be all hype, but I can’t wait to find out and try it for myself! Furthermore, there is a historical sense to the building as it is over 160 years old. And finally another reason to go is due to the fact that they won "Bar of the Year Awards in 2012" along with countless other awards (thetemplebarpub.com)! 

http://www.jpc2013.com/files/2012/11/Temple-Bar.jpeg


         Eventually we will stumble back to our hotel, glad we picked one so close to our festivities, and take a well deserved night's rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment